Physical chemistry has been taught at the University of Belgrade since 1903.
Physical chemistry is a fundamental interdisciplinary science, whose principles and disciplines originate from the 19th century. Together with related sciences – chemistry, physics and biology – physical chemistry constitutes the family of natural sciences.
The beginning of the study of physical chemistry at the University of Belgrade: Dr. Miloje Stojiljkovic was given a lectureship at the Great School in Belgrade. Dr. Stojiljkovic obtained his Ph.D. in Geneva in 1902.
The Belgrade Great School is upgraded to a University with three Faculties: Philosophy, Law and Technology.
Dr. Stojiljkovic delivers the first lectures on physical chemistry at the Faculty of Philosophy.
Founding of the Institute of Physical Chemistry, which will constitute the institutional framework for teaching and research in physical chemistry until 1970.
Founding of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, which incorporated 11 institutions (including the Institute of Physical Chemistry), with nine chairs (one is the Chair of Physical Chemistry), and the teaching is organised for 10 study groups – the fourth on the list is Physical Chemistry.
The Head of the Institute from 1947 to 1966 was Academician Prof. Pavle Savic, one of the co-discoverers of nuclear fission (later President of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts), founder of the Institute for Research of the Structure of Matter in Vinca (1948), today the Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences.
Reorganisation of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics grouped related chairs and scientific fields into five departments. The Department of Chemistry and Physicochemical Sciences is created, with two institutes: the Institute of Chemistry and the Institute of Physical Chemistry (the former Institute of Physical Chemistry) with five chairs each.
Another reorganisation of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Six independent faculties are created: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Biology, and Geography.
Around 1300 students have graduated from the Faculty to date, out of which more than 200 have obtained PhD degrees, and more than 300 have obtained M.A. and M.Sc. degrees.